Re: Seq scans status update

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Seq scans status update
Date: 2007-05-17 17:03:23
Lists: pgsql-patches

> I've completed a set of performance tests on a test server. The server
> has 4 GB of RAM, of which 1 GB is used for shared_buffers.

Perhaps I'm misreading it, but these tests seem to show no improvement
worth spending any effort on --- some of the tests improve a bit but
many get worse, and that's for tests allegedly designed to highlight the
improvement; there's been no attempt to measure the distributed cost of
the additional logic in scenarios where it's not helpful. To say
nothing of the likelihood that it will be flat-out counterproductive
in yet other scenarios.

regression=# select id,sum(rt),count(*) from times group by id;
id | sum | count
10G | 01:15:53.497114 | 20
10Gpatched | 01:12:51.749906 | 20
2G | 00:11:54.343741 | 20
2Gpatched | 00:11:32.482733 | 20
(4 rows)

Should we not just reject the patch and move on to something more
useful?