Re: Improving psql's \password command

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Improving psql's \password command
Date: 2021-11-18 00:14:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com> writes:
> You are right. I'm not sure what I was thinking. Attached a v3
> with that part removed.

Pushed with a little further tweaking --- mostly, I felt that
explicitly referring to SIGINT in the API names was too
implementation-specific, so I renamed things.

As you mentioned, there are several other simple_prompt() calls
that could usefully be improved. (I think the one in startup.c
may be OK because we've not set up the SIGINT handler yet,
though.) I wondered whether it's worth refactoring some more
to have just one function that sets up the context mechanism.

I was also of two minds about whether to add a context option
to pg_get_line_buf(). I stuck with your choice not to, but
it does look a bit inconsistent.