Re: Performance: Unix sockets vs. TCP/IP sockets

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Frank Joerdens <frank(at)joerdens(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance: Unix sockets vs. TCP/IP sockets
Date: 2001-01-26 04:07:19
Lists: pgsql-general

Frank Joerdens <frank(at)joerdens(dot)de> writes:
> What performance penalty can I expect when going over TCP/IP sockets
> instead of Unix sockets?

On a properly designed kernel, there shouldn't be any measurable
performance difference between a local TCP connection and a Unix-socket
connection.

There are not-so-well-designed kernels out there, but I forget which
they are (and you didn't bother to specify your platform anyway).

If you want a reliable answer, fire up a data-transfer-intensive task,
say a COPY OUT of a large table, and time it both ways.