Schedule, feature freeze, etc

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Schedule, feature freeze, etc
Date: 2004-07-01 17:02:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Okay folks, it's July 1, and the long-threatened feature freeze for 7.5
is now in place. That means future patches that introduce new features
will be held off till the next development cycle. Bug fixes, cleanup
of loose ends, and (ahem) documentation are of course still welcome.

Since we've just barely gotten some major patches in under the wire,
we're going to construe "no new features" pretty loosely. For instance,
the syntax associated with nested transactions is still open for debate
and we aren't going to refuse to change it just because it's past
July 1 --- that will be considered to be in the "loose ends" category.
Same for PITR and Windows-related tweaks.

The core committee is hoping to see enough loose-end-fixup and
documentation-writing done in the next two weeks that we can put out
a first "official beta" around July 15. We are going to shoot for
official release September 1 (though given the size of the changes,
it wouldn't be surprising if we have to slip that).