Re[2]: Importing Data into Postgresql from MS Access

From: Jean-Christophe Boggio <cat(at)thefreecat(dot)org>
To: "Tony Simopoulos" <karkalis(at)earthling(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re[2]: Importing Data into Postgresql from MS Access
Date: 2000-10-12 22:46:27
Lists: pgsql-novice

Tony,

Ref : Friday, October 13, 2000 12:12:59 AM

TS> this is such a manual process it stinks. i too asked recently for a nice loading tool. the advice i got was to hack together some
TS> perl scripts. although this would probably work fine, i think there is justification to build a real utility.

Well, I'm really sorry, I LOVE the copy command. If some tool does
exist to transfer automatically data between databases, this is very
good but I don't think I will ever user it.

I like to know what happens when I work. I don't believe in magic (I
would use MySQL if I did).

I like typing, I like coding, I like using pipes, I like command
lines and I like perl. I like speed and reliability.

TS> i'm currently working on one which can convert data from one format to another. any database uploading or download will be done
TS> through ODBC. formats support will be TEXT(DELIMITED, FIXED_WIDTH, ENCLOSED), XBASE, and of course any SQL DB through ODBC.

Sounds cool ! Any release date ?

TS> utilizing the tool will entail the preparation of a specification file, where the input file or data table or data query is
TS> specified and the output file or data table is also specified, along with column positions/names, field delimiters, etc. the idea
TS> is to approach the functionality of oracle's sqlload tool, while making it more flexible through ODBC.

TS> although it will only suit my immediate needs and not be extremely robust, when its finished, i will probably release it to the
TS> contrib directory.

great

TS> the COPY command is the sorriest excuse for a data load tool i have ever had the displeasure of working with. i hope i never have
TS> to again.

* Let's do it again :
1. create the table in pg (access will surely generate SQL for that)
2. have a tab delimited ascii file with fields ordered (access can do that too ?)
3. type ONE very easy command
With a little bit of organization it is very simple

* It is fully scriptable (so that imports/exports can be done during
the night, automatically)

* There's nothing to install or configure or learn

* It does not depend on a compiler, or a special tool to work straight
out of the box

* It's very reliable

I was very pleased to see how imports/exports were simple in Postgres and I
remembered what a pain it had been with Oracle.

Regards,

--
Jean-Christophe Boggio
cat(at)thefreecat(dot)org