Re: pg_migrator issues

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_migrator issues
Date: 2010-01-05 05:20:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> I thought it was impossible to use bare mountpoints as tablespaces due
>> to ownership problems ... Is that not the case? -1 for special hacks
>> that work around bogus setups, if that means intrusive changes to the
>> core code.

> I talked to the person who reported the problem and he and I confirmed
> that it is quite easy to make the mount point be owned by the postgres
> user and have that function as a tablespace. Is that not a supported
> setup?

It might be *possible*, but that doesn't make it a good idea. The
traditional sysadmin advice in this area is that mount points should
be owned by root. I don't really remember the reasoning but I'm pretty
sure I remember the principle.

> It was actually Tom's idea months ago to put a version-specific
> directory in the tablespace.

I was just about to re-suggest that. Why do you think it's such a
bad idea?