Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] Initdb failing for no apparent reason in 8.0.0beta4 on windows

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Steve McWilliams" <smcwilliams(at)EmprisaNetworks(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] Initdb failing for no apparent reason in 8.0.0beta4 on windows
Date: 2005-01-07 18:55:25
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers-win32

"Steve McWilliams" <smcwilliams(at)EmprisaNetworks(dot)com> writes:
> Nevermind, I found out what this was. Turned out that the customer
> machine in question had particularly heavy security settings and so the
> enetaware account did not have permission to write into the directory
> where it was trying to create PGDATA. Once I widened the settings on the
> parent directory then it worked fine. Kind of odd that inidb.exe just
> fails silently when this is the case however.

CVS tip says something:

creating directory /home/postgres/testversion/data ... initdb: could not create directory "/home/postgres/testversion/data": Permission denied
$

I believe this was fixed here:

* src/bin/initdb/initdb.c: Clean up initdb's error handling so that
it prints something more useful than just 'failed' when there's a
problem. Per gripe from Chris Albertson.

The shell-script version of initdb relied heavily on the programs it
invoked (mkdir, in this case) to print error messages when something
went wrong, so the initial transliteration into a C program was
definitely on the strong silent side :-(