Re: BUG #13440: unaccent does not remove all diacritics

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Michael Gradek <mike(at)busbud(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #13440: unaccent does not remove all diacritics
Date: 2015-09-03 03:43:52
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> No, not after someone pointed out that it could have strange side-effects
>> on full text search configurations that used unaccent. You'd stop being
>> able to find documents whenever your search term is stripped of accents
>> more thoroughly than before. That might be all right in a new major
>> release (if it documents that you might have to rebuild your FTS indexes
>> and derived tsvector columns). It's not all right in a minor release.

> Hmm, so what happens if you pg_upgrade FTS indexes? Are they somehow
> marked invalid and a REINDEX is forced?

No. They're not broken in a fundamental way, it's just that certain
search terms no longer find document words you might think they should
match. Oleg and Teodor argued back at the beginning of the FTS stuff
that this sort of thing wasn't critical, and I agree --- but we shouldn't
change the mapping in minor releases.