Re: [INTERFACES] What's that query limit again?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Matthew Hagerty <matthew(at)venux(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] What's that query limit again?
Date: 1999-02-25 15:01:53
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Matthew Hagerty <matthew(at)venux(dot)net> writes:
> The query limit is 8K right? What about the size of rows returned by a
> select?

There's an 8K limit on the text of a submitted query (I hope to
eliminate that soon, but probably not in time for 6.5). As far as
I can think offhand, there is no a-priori limit on the size of a
query result in either columns or rows.

(Well, I notice a 16-bit column count in T messages, so the FE/BE
protocol will break at 32K or 64K columns in a result, but hopefully
no one will ever run into that...)

Have you tried it? An experiment would've taken less time than
querying the list, I'm sure.

regards, tom lane