Re: Add statistics_collector_listen_addresses to fix hard-coding of "localhost"

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Young <yayooo(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add statistics_collector_listen_addresses to fix hard-coding of "localhost"
Date: 2011-10-27 14:42:16
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> BTW, do we have anything in place to stop any user on the same host to
> send bogus stat messages to the stats collector?

Yes. Use of the connect() call is supposed to guarantee that we will
only receive packets originating from our own socket address.

As far as the original topic goes, I agree that it seems rather
pointless to worry about systems that fail to resolve "localhost".
Doing so is required by relevant RFCs, eg
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/bcp/bcp32.html
(That's probably not the only one, it's just the first hit I found
while searching the RFC archives.)

And, given that we've been doing it this way since 2001 without
previous complaints, the number of systems that fail to do it
must be pretty small.