Re: Foreign keys causing conflicts leading toserialization failures

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
Cc: "Peter Schuller *EXTERN*" <peter(dot)schuller(at)infidyne(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Foreign keys causing conflicts leading toserialization failures
Date: 2008-04-02 15:33:35
Lists: pgsql-general

"Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at> writes:
> Peter Schuller wrote:
>> This is what I am wondering. Whether it is done this way due to
>> expecation/standard, or as an implementation side effect. In the
>> latter case it is fixable.

> I don't see how this could break a standard.

Actually, I think it does, because we went to great lengths to cause
this case to error out. It would be much simpler, code-wise, if the
RI checks just always used a current snapshot and didn't worry about
whether serializability had been violated.

(Albe's description of the implementation is largely fiction, but the
conclusion is accurate: we throw error if the referenced PK row has been
updated since the serializable transaction started. The exact nature
of the update is not considered.)