Re: Postgres consuming way too much memory???

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "jody brownell" <jody(dot)brownell(at)q1labs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres consuming way too much memory???
Date: 2006-06-15 15:34:39
Lists: pgsql-performance

"jody brownell" <jody(dot)brownell(at)q1labs(dot)com> writes:
> When postgresql starts to go into this bloating state, I can only make it happen from my java app.

That's interesting. The JDBC driver uses protocol features that aren't
used by psql, so it's possible that the leak is triggered by one of
those features. I wouldn't worry too much about duplicating the problem
from psql anyway --- a Java test case will do fine.

> I am going to try closing the connection after each TX to see if this
> resolves it for now. If not, I will write a java app, stored procedure
> (table etc) reproduce it without our application.

Even if that works around it for you, please pursue getting a test case
together so we can find and fix the underlying problem.