Re: Installing PG 7.3.1 on Solaris 8

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Chris Boget" <chris(at)wild(dot)net>
Cc: "PGSql General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Installing PG 7.3.1 on Solaris 8
Date: 2003-01-29 19:04:22
Lists: pgsql-general

"Chris Boget" <chris(at)wild(dot)net> writes:
> Postgresql make fails with this message:
> ../../../src/include/catalog/indexing.h --set-version=7.3.1
> awk: syntax error near line 63
> awk: illegal statement near line 63

> Arch is Solaris 8 SPARC; I followed this guide to the letter:
> http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/PackagingForSolaris

Looks like you have an old crufty awk. One solution is to install GNU
awk (gawk). However, I seem to recall that Solaris comes with more than
one awk already; poke around and see if you find anything named awk or
nawk. If you do, try re-running configure after putting the other awk
earlier in your PATH (or just hack the AWK variable in
src/Makefile.global).

Justin, what was your PATH when you wrote that document? You don't
mention needing GNU awk ... what did configure pick for you?