Re: pgsql: Fix some trailing whitespace in documentation files

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Fix some trailing whitespace in documentation files
Date: 2022-04-20 15:18:55
Lists: pgsql-committers

> On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 08:57:23PM +0200, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> Mildly on-topic: Has the topic of a pgindent like process for docs been
>> discussed at some point? The archives didn't turn up anything for me.

> I don't remember any discussion of that. We have 'make check-tabs' for
> SGML files, but that's about it.

I've pushed a patch to remove the remaining trailing whitespace.

I thought about adjusting 'make check-tabs' to know about that rule,
but on the whole I'm inclined to remove it instead. The modern
technology for this is "git diff --check" and variants of that,
and I'm not sure why we should maintain a less-flexible alternative.
(It'd be one less headache for the meson conversion, too.)