Re: Re: PITR question

From: <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <ohp(at)pyrenet(dot)fr>, pgsql-hackers list <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: PITR question
Date: 2004-10-06 21:50:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote on 06.10.2004, 21:15:34:
> ohp(at)pyrenet(dot)fr wrote:
> > Hi Every one.
> >
> > At least I made PITR working however I still have 2 questions:
> >
> > 1) It seems there is a slight bug in this case:
> > select pg_backup_start('test);
> > ... make backup
> > select pg_backup_end();
> > psql database
> > drp table.... note the time in logs
> > pg_ctl stop
> > rm -rf $PGDATA
> > restore backup
> > put the timestamp in recovery.conf and recover_inclusive=false
> > pg_ctl start
> >
> > ... you end up with a core dump (signal 6) and an error saying that you
> > can't stop before end of backup.
> >
> > This is because it's the FIRST transaction after backup and ending restore
> > BEFORE this means ending before the end of backup...
>
> Was this corrected? I don't see any followups to it in the archives.

Not by me, though I was definitely working on crash recovery then. ;-)

Olivier is right in the explanation of this, but it doesn't seem that a
core dump is the appropriate response.

I'll correct this... though (for me) low prio fix should be done by
around last week Oct.

Apologies to Olivier and thanks to Bruce for re-raising the issue.

Best Regards,

Simon Riggs