Re: Postgres and TLSv1.2

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jan Bilek <jan(dot)bilek(at)eftlab(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Chris Dawes <chris(dot)dawes(at)eftlab(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: Postgres and TLSv1.2
Date: 2015-05-21 16:06:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jan Bilek <jan(dot)bilek(at)eftlab(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> We are trying to setup Postgres with TLSv1.2 (undergoing PA:DSS audit),
> but getting a bit stuck there with Postgres reporting could not accept
> SSL connection: no shared cipher. This is obviously an internal OpenSSL
> message, but worrying part is that we've had this setup running with the
> other encryptions and the same certificates without any problems.

> We've been trying to follow documentation from here:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/ssl-tcp.html.

libpq versions before 9.4 will only accept TLSv1 exactly. In 9.4 it
should negotiate the highest TLS version supported by both server and
client.

I don't recall why we didn't back-patch that change, probably excessive
concern for backwards compatibility ... but anyway, AFAICS from the git
logs, it's not in 9.3.x. I think you could get TLS 1.2 from a 9.3 server
and 9.4 libpq, if that helps.