Re: Large text fields in the database

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Aleksandar Radulovic" <alex(at)juventus(dot)is>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Large text fields in the database
Date: 2002-01-13 20:43:40
Lists: pgsql-docs

"Aleksandar Radulovic" <alex(at)juventus(dot)is> writes:
> I am using the RPM packaged postgreSQL server 7.1.3 which is
> shipped with RH 7.2.

> The problem I have is the size of text fields. Although in Documentation
> it clearly says that the DB supports text fields larger than 8Kb, I am
> unable to insert or update fields (and tables for that matter) with data
> larger than 8Kb.

> Whenever I try to do that, I get unresolved symbol SPI_lastoid in
> plpgsql.so

It's quite improbable that the latter has anything directly to do with
the former. However, the latter does seems to suggest a version
mismatch problem --- specifically, a 7.1 plpgsql.so and an older
postgres backend. So I will suggest that your real problem is you have
not updated all components of your PG installation to 7.1.
Try "rpm -qa | grep postgres" and see if anything's out of sync.