Re: Adding a suffix array index

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Troels Arvin <troels(at)arvin(dot)dk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Adding a suffix array index
Date: 2004-11-19 15:35:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Troels Arvin <troels(at)arvin(dot)dk> writes:
> 2. Does someone know of interesting documentation (perhaps
> in the form of interesting code comments) which I should
> read, as a basis for creating a non-standard index type
> in PostgreSQL?

There's not a whole lot :-( and you should definitely expect to have to
read code, not just comments. You have of course already read
"Interfacing Extensions To Indexes" and "Index Cost Estimation
Functions" in the SGML docs? After that I'd suggest looking at
src/backend/access/nbtree/README and src/backend/access/hash/README,
and then diving into the code of one or more of the existing index
access methods. Offhand I think that hash and rtree might be the best
ones to read. btree is the most "industrial strength" of the four
because it's been worked over and optimized much more carefully than the
others, but by the same token its code is vastly more bulky than the
others; I think you'd have a harder time seeing the forest instead of
the trees if you read btree. gist and rtree are nearly alike so you
probably don't want to read both of those.