Theory of operation of collation patch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Theory of operation of collation patch
Date: 2011-03-07 16:43:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Is there any documentation of $SUBJECT? Because the more I look at
this patch the more I think it's misdesigned; either that or I
fundamentally misunderstand what it's trying to do. I complained
yesterday about why the planner wasn't using indcollation to identify
the sort order of an index. I now think that the reason it doesn't
obviously fail to fail is that indcollation is dead code, and so is
approximately 99% of what you added to the planner, because two
expressions that are equal() must necessarily have the same collation
property. Tracking the collation as a separate property of a pathkey
is thus a useless activity. If this conclusion isn't correct, please
explain why not.