Re: Tricky bugs in concurrent index build

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)skype(dot)net>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tricky bugs in concurrent index build
Date: 2006-08-24 02:46:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> The problem case is that we take a tuple and try to insert it into the index.
> Meanwhile someone else updates the tuple, and they're faster than us so
> they get the new version into the index first. Now our aminsert sees a
> conflicting index entry, and as soon as it commits good aminsert will
> raise a uniqueness error. There's no backoff for "oh, the tuple I'm
> inserting stopped being live while I was inserting it".

It's possible that the problem could be solved by introducing such a
backoff, ie, make aminsert recheck liveness of the tuple-to-be-inserted
before declaring error. Since we're about to fail anyway, performance
of this code path probably isn't a huge issue. But I haven't thought
through whether it can be made to work with that addition.

Unless someone's got a brilliant idea, my recommendation at this point
is that we restrict the patch to building only non-unique indexes.
Per discussion upthread, that's still a useful feature. We can revisit
the problem of doing uniqueness checks correctly in some future release,
but time to work on it for 8.2 is running out fast.