Straight-from-the-horses-mouth dept

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Straight-from-the-horses-mouth dept
Date: 2002-06-06 05:18:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I've been having a lot of fun here at the SIGMOD annual conference,
attaching faces to names like Stonebraker, Hellerstein, Aoki,
Seltzer (if these do not ring a bell, you ain't read enough Postgres
source code lately). I felt I had to pass along this gem from Joe
Hellerstein, right after he observed that he knew the PG sources
quite well, and he'd noticed MySQL was a lot smaller:

"Postgres is bloatware by design: it was built to house PhD theses."

immediately followed by

"The current maintainers [he's looking right at me while he says this]
have done a great job of trimming the fat. I know that *my* thesis
is gone entirely."