Re: Fixing parallel make of libpq

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fixing parallel make of libpq
Date: 2020-01-10 15:08:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> On 2020-01-09 15:17, Tom Lane wrote:
>> 1) Changing from an "|"-style dependency to a plain dependency seems
>> like a semantics change. I've never been totally clear on the
>> difference though. I think Peter introduced our use of the "|" style,
>> so maybe he can comment.

> If you have a phony target as a prerequisite of a real-file target, you
> should make that an order-only ("|") prerequisite. Otherwise the
> real-file target rules will *always* be run, on account of the phony
> target prerequisite.

OK, got that. But that doesn't directly answer the question of whether
it's wrong to use a phony target as an order-only prerequisite of
another phony target. Grepping around for other possible issues,
I see that you recently added

update-unicode: | submake-generated-headers submake-libpgport
$(MAKE) -C src/common/unicode $@
$(MAKE) -C contrib/unaccent $@

Doesn't that also have parallel-make hazards, if libpq does?