Re: BUG #15572: Misleading message reported by "Drop function operation" on DB with functions having same name

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #15572: Misleading message reported by "Drop function operation" on DB with functions having same name
Date: 2019-02-20 20:36:39
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 at 18:56, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:
>> I think that the right call is to add the object type into the
>> arguments of LookupFuncName().

I'm not clear how that helps exactly?

> But there are plenty of callers that use LookupFuncName() directly. Do
> you happen to know it's okay for all those to error out with the
> additional error conditions that such a change would move into that
> function? I certainly don't know that.

The real problem here is that you've unilaterally decided that all callers
of get_object_address() need a particular behavior --- and not only that,
but a behavior that seems fairly surprising and unprincipled, given that
get_object_address's option is documented as "missing_ok" (something the
patch doesn't even bother to change). It's not very apparent to me why
function-related lookups should start behaving differently from other
lookups in that function, and it's sure not apparent that all callers of
get_object_address() are on board with it.

Should we be propagating that 3-way flag further up, to
get_object_address() callers? I dunno.