Re: TEXT vs PG_NODE_TREE in system columns (cross column and expression statistics patch)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Hans-Juergen Schoenig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Subject: Re: TEXT vs PG_NODE_TREE in system columns (cross column and expression statistics patch)
Date: 2011-04-28 15:36:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Excerpts from Boszormenyi Zoltan's message of jue abr 28 11:03:56 -0300 2011:
>> ERROR: could not determine which collation to use for string comparison
>> HINT: Use the COLLATE clause to set the collation explicitly.

> Maybe the pg_node_tree problem is a bug with the collation feature. If
> you could reproduce it in unpatched master, I'm sure it'd find a quick
> death.

Actually, I rather imagine it comes from this choice in catcache.c:

/* Currently, there are no catcaches on collation-aware data types */
cache->cc_skey[i].sk_collation = InvalidOid;

I'd be more worried about that if I thought it made any sense to use
a pg_node_tree column as an index key, but I don't ...