Re: psql -p 5433; create database test; \c test failing

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Markus Bertheau" <mbertheau(dot)pg(at)googlemail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql -p 5433; create database test; \c test failing
Date: 2006-03-11 17:15:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Markus Bertheau" <mbertheau(dot)pg(at)googlemail(dot)com> writes:
> Why is it trying to use 5432? Am I missing something? Is that the
> expected behaviour?

> Michael Fuhr hinted that
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2006-02/msg00139.php
> may be the cause of that.

Confirmed here: \c drops the previous port connection setting (and the
host too according to my testing). This is clearly a bug --- at least,
there was no hint in the patch description that it would change the
behavior of previously-accepted cases, and it would have had to
withstand much more careful review if that were stated to be the case.