Re: ADD/DROP INHERITS

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)skype(dot)net>, Zeugswetter Andreas DCP SD <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ADD/DROP INHERITS
Date: 2006-06-08 15:48:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Come to think of it it's pretty strange that you can drop an inherited
> constraint from a child. And doing an experiment it seems you can also DROP
> NOT NULL on a child which is also pretty strange.

Yeah. I think we had agreed that this is a bug. Note the TODO entries:

o Prevent parent tables from altering or dropping constraints
like CHECK that are inherited by child tables unless CASCADE
is used
o %Prevent child tables from altering or dropping constraints
like CHECK that were inherited from the parent table

> I don't see how to block these operations though unless we either search
> parent classes for constraints to check at run-time or add additional
> dependency records to block dropping these things.

The implementation I had in mind was to add columns similar to attinhcount
and attislocal to pg_constraint.