Re: Does RelCache/SysCache shrink except when relations are deleted?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Does RelCache/SysCache shrink except when relations are deleted?
Date: 2011-09-29 14:45:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> ... It seems that we used to have
> some kind of LRU algorithm to prevent excessive memory usage, but we
> rippped it out because it was too expensive (see commit
> 8b9bc234ad43dfa788bde40ebf12e94f16556b7f).

Not only was it too expensive, but performance fell off a cliff as soon
as you had a catalog working set large enough to cause the code to
actually do something, I'm not in favor of putting anything like that
back in ---- people who have huge catalogs will just start complaining
about something different, ie, why did their apps get so much slower.

The short answer here is "if you want a database with 100000 tables,
you'd better be running it on more than desktop-sized hardware".