Re: knngist - 0.8

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: knngist - 0.8
Date: 2011-02-28 19:25:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 1:53 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
>>> Since no one has stepped up to fix these issues, I have marked this
>>> patch Returned with Feedback.

>> This is just contrib/btree_GIST, yes?

> Yes, core KNN was committed by Tom during the November CommitFest.

Right. However, it's disappointing that this isn't in, because the
number of use cases for KNN-gist in core isn't very large. We really
need support for KNN in btree_gist to make it useful.

Given that it is a contrib module, I personally wouldn't object to it
getting patched later, like during alpha or beta. But somebody's got
to do the work, and I've got a dozen higher-priority problems right now.