Re: Commitfest process

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Commitfest process
Date: 2008-03-07 21:45:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> Sure, we can refine that later. making it easier for patch authors as
> well, but I don't think it's an unreasonable amount of work to keep one
> line per patch up-to-date in a wiki. The line doesn't need to contain
> anything else than title of patch, name of the author, and links to
> latest patch and relevant discussion threads, if applicable. And
> commitfests are short, you only need to update the wiki a couple of
> times during the commitfest.

This is reasonable for the sort of medium-to-large patch that the author
has put a lot of time into. But we also get a lot of small one-off
patches where it's not so reasonable. Now of course many of those get
applied right away, but not all. One of the services that Bruce's patch
queue has always performed is making sure stuff like that doesn't fall
through the cracks. I don't think a purely author-driven patch queue
will work to ensure that.

We could combine the ideas: encourage authors to use the wiki, but have
someone (probably Bruce ;-)) in charge of adding stuff to the wiki if
the author doesn't.