Re: compatibilityissues from 7.1 to 7.4

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joel <rees(at)ddcom(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: compatibilityissues from 7.1 to 7.4
Date: 2004-10-28 05:01:20
Lists: pgsql-general

Joel <rees(at)ddcom(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> Any thoughts on the urgency of the move?

How large is your pg_log file? 7.1 was the last release that had the
transaction ID wraparound limitation (after 4G transactions your
database fails...). If pg_log is approaching a gig, you had better
do something PDQ.

More generally: essentially all of the data-loss bugs we've fixed lately
existed also in 7.1. The core committee made a policy decision some
time ago that we wouldn't bother back-patching further than 7.2, however.
The only reason 7.2 is still getting some patching attention is that it
was the last pre-schema release, and so there might be some people out
there with non-schema-aware applications who couldn't conveniently move
up to 7.3 or later. But once 8.0 is out we'll probably lose interest in
supporting 7.2 as well.