Re: error in creating database

From: "Markus Wollny" <Markus(dot)Wollny(at)computec(dot)de>
To: "Karthik(dot)S" <skarthik(at)midascomm(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: error in creating database
Date: 2005-12-06 15:26:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi!

You should really consider upgrading. There has been a lot of development, both feature-wise and concerning bug-squashing, since the 7.1-days.

> Sometimes (nearly 50% of the times) the database creation
> fails by saying
> "ERROR: CREATE DATABASE: source database "template1" is
> being accessed by other users"

8.1 has introduced the concept of a "maintenance-database", but you can easily do something similar by either creating your db's with "CREATE DATABASE foo WITH TEMPLATE = template0;" (but anything you have changed in template1 after PostgreSQL-installation won't be in your new db then) or simply create another template-database, say template2 for this purpose.

Kind regards

Markus