Re: [HACKERS] Tutorial

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Tutorial
Date: 2004-07-23 20:58:55
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> writes:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 04:30:40PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> If we're going to remove from the tutorial every feature for which
>> any aspect is deemed by someone to be broken, the tutorial is liable
>> to become quite short.

> Are there other pieces that are broken?

Between the locale behavior and the trailing-spaces behavior, one could
make the case that the entire set of textual datatypes are broken.
Other examples will occur to your thought if you follow pgsql-bugs.

My point here is that one man's unusably broken feature may be another
man's quite useful feature. Postgres is a work in progress, and
probably always will be. I don't object to pointing out shortcomings,
but removing all mention of a feature because it has some shortcomings
seems not the best way.