Re: Restart after power outage: createdb

From: Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: lapham(at)jandr(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Restart after power outage: createdb
Date: 2006-09-27 14:18:58
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Sep 27, 2006, at 6:24 AM, Jon Lapham wrote:
> Jim Nasby wrote:
>>> [lapham(at)localhost ~]$ psql bar
>>> psql: FATAL: database "bar" does not exist
>>> [lapham(at)localhost ~]$ createdb bar
>>> createdb: database creation failed: ERROR: could not create
>>> directory "base/65536": File exists
>>> [lapham(at)localhost ~]$ createdb bar
>> Could this be a timing issue? IE: are you just issuing the first
>> createdb bar too soon after the database has started?
>> I suspect this is a bug...
>
> Probably not too soon, since postgresql is started by init.d during
> boot and it is probably a minute or so after that before I can get
> logged in, open a shell, issue the commands, etc.

My brain is foggy on exactly what rules are used to clean $PGDATA up
after a crash, but I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to work like
that. If you can re-test with 8.2RC1 and still reproduce it (please
watch the logs to make sure crash recovery is complete before you try
the createdb), I'd ask on pgsql-bugs.
--
Jim Nasby jim(at)nasby(dot)net