Re: contrib/sepgsql regression tests are a no-go

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: contrib/sepgsql regression tests are a no-go
Date: 2011-09-27 19:39:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> I think it should be possible to still use all the existing testing
> infrastructure if the check/test script does something like
> make REGRESS="label dml misc" check

I've now worked through the process of actually running the sepgsql
regression tests, and I must say that I had no idea how utterly invasive
they were --- the idea that they could ever be part of a default "make
check" sequence is even more ridiculous than I thought before.

Accordingly, the attached patch does what I suggested above, namely dike
out the Makefile's knowledge of how to run the regression tests and put
it into the chkselinuxenv script. It would be appropriate to rename that
script to something like "test_sepgsql", but I didn't do that yet to
reduce the displayed size of the patch.

I have not touched the documentation, either. One thing I'd like to do
is adjust both the SGML documentation and the hints printed by the
script to uniformly use "sudo ...root-privileged-command..." rather than
recommending use of "su". I don't like the latter because it makes it
less than clear exactly which commands require root, encourages you to
forget to switch out of root mode, and IMO is against local policy on
any well-run box. I recognize however that that might be mostly my
own preferences showing --- what do others think?

Comments?

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
sepgsql-testing.patch text/x-patch 2.7 KB