Re: Summary: what to do about INET/CIDR

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alex Pilosov <alex(at)pilosoft(dot)com>
Cc: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Summary: what to do about INET/CIDR
Date: 2000-10-27 20:14:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alex Pilosov <alex(at)pilosoft(dot)com> writes:
> Also, I agree with Larry that cidr _must_ be printed with 4 octets in
> them, whether they are 0 or not. (i.e. it should print 207.158.72.0/24)

> This is the standard way of specifying addresses in all network equipment.
> RFC specifies that, just the library that we use doesn't (yes, it is from
> Vixie, but it doesn't make it RFC-compliant)

Somehow, I am more inclined to believe Vixie's opinion on this than
either yours or Larry's ;-)

If you think there is an RFC that demands the above behavior and not
what Vixie recommended to us, let's see chapter and verse.

FWIW, the direction we seem to be converging in is that INET will always
print all four octets. Maybe the answer for you is to use INET, rather
than to try to persuade us that you understand CIDR notation better than
Vixie does...