Re: Load Distributed Checkpoints, final patch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>, ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Load Distributed Checkpoints, final patch
Date: 2007-06-28 13:30:12
Lists: pgsql-patches

> The comment in PreallocXlogFiles is out of date:

Yeah, I changed it yesterday ...

> As you pointed out, it only preallocates one log file. And there is no
> XLOGfile mentioned anywhere else in the source tree.

If memory serves, there once was a variable there, but we simplified it
out of existence for reasons no longer apparent. Possibly it'd be worth
trolling the CVS log and archives to find out why we did that.

Anyway, what I'm thinking at the moment is that it's not so much that
PreallocXlogFiles needs to do more work as that it needs to be called
more often. Right now we only do it once per checkpoint.