Re: Do Petabyte storage solutions exist?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bradley Kieser <brad(at)kieser(dot)net>
Cc: Tony and Bryn Reina <reina_ga(at)hotmail(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Do Petabyte storage solutions exist?
Date: 2004-04-02 15:42:28
Lists: pgsql-admin

Bradley Kieser <brad(at)kieser(dot)net> writes:
> No, it isn't. Oracle is expensive but it is also the Rolls Royce, it
> seems. I am a strictly OpenSource man so I don't really get into the
> pricing thing, but I do know that it is also deal-by-deal and depending
> on who and what you are, the prices can vary.

I'm fairly sure that Oracle's pricing scales with the iron you plan to
use: the more or faster CPUs you want to run it on, the more you pay.
A large shop can easily get into the $100K license range, but Oracle
figures that they will have spent way more than that on their hardware.

The trouble with this theory is that as hardware prices fall, Oracle is
collecting a larger and larger share of people's IT budgets. That's why
we are seeing more and more interest in open-source DBs ...