Re: BUG #4883: tar xf fails on NFS4 mounts

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #4883: tar xf fails on NFS4 mounts
Date: 2009-07-02 13:52:24
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> I meant rather, hence the other thread, where we had to revert this.

I think that thread was on -packagers rather than any public list.
For the record: Dave Page reported that the initial wrap of 8.4.0
failed to build on OS X 10.4. Investigation disclosed that its
version of tar was misinterpreting the "o" switch, and that this
wasn't Apple's fault but rather a bug common to all GNU tar 1.14.x
versions (up to x=91 IIRC). Given the lack of prior complaints
and the likelihood that 1.14.x is still in use elsewhere,
we decided to revert to the old coding for 8.4.