Re: A bug with ALTER TABLE SET WITHOUT OIDS in CVS HEAD

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A bug with ALTER TABLE SET WITHOUT OIDS in CVS HEAD
Date: 2008-11-28 18:00:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com> writes:
> In my understanding, the matter comes from the mixture of two kind of
> tuples. The one has object identifier, and the other don't have.
> It seems to me the current implementation assumes fetched tuples have
> proper rowtype which matches to the current table definition, however,
> the ALTER TABLE can break this assumption.

Right. And the way to fix that is to fix ALTER TABLE to not break the
assumption. Otherwise we'll be putting band-aids in different parts
of the system for years to come. As I said when the point came up
originally, there is no reason to assume that this is a problem that
affects only one or two places.