Re: obsoleting plpython2u and defaulting plpythonu to plpython3u

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Raiskup <praiskup(at)redhat(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: obsoleting plpython2u and defaulting plpythonu to plpython3u
Date: 2018-04-27 15:51:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> On 4/26/18 16:39, Tom Lane wrote:
>> and I gather from Pavel's inquiry that the day
>> is in sight when Fedora will do that.

> According to the plan I found at
> <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FinalizingFedoraSwitchtoPython3>, they
> will also wait for an update to PEP 394 ("and we will drive that update
> if needed").

Note that there's a specific timeline there: they expect PEP 394 to get
changed not more than 2 years from now. I am not sure if Red Hat has
enough pull in the Python community to guarantee that will happen, but
do you want to bet against it?

> So that's all great. There are some opportunities for prep work in the
> meantime that have been mentioned.

We should evidently plan on making this stuff happen in v12, or we're
going to be behind the curve.