Unportable code in odbc's dlg_specific.h

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Unportable code in odbc's dlg_specific.h
Date: 2001-02-19 23:24:25
Lists: pgsql-interfaces pgsql-odbc

I tried compiling ODBC with HP's C compiler today, for the first time
ever, and was startled by the number and variety of the warnings :-(.

The bulk of the problem seems to be a blithe assumption that char ==
unsigned char, which is probably not worth trying to clean up right
now. But another thing it didn't like was in dlg_specific.h:

# ifdef ODBCINSTDIR
# define ODBCINST_INI ODBCINSTDIR "/odbcinst.ini"
# else
# define ODBCINST_INI "/etc/odbcinst.ini"
# warning "location of odbcinst.ini file defaulted to /etc"
# endif

My C99 spec agrees with HP's compiler that there is no such directive
as #warning. The value of having this message seems minimal to me,
certainly not worth the risk that ODBC will fail to compile at all
on compilers pickier than gcc. Any objection to taking it out?

regards, tom lane