Re: "anyelement2" pseudotype

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Dunstan <pgsql(at)tomd(dot)cc>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Matt Miller <pgsql(at)mattmillersf(dot)fastmail(dot)fm>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "anyelement2" pseudotype
Date: 2007-02-14 18:34:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Dunstan <pgsql(at)tomd(dot)cc> writes:
> Regarding the type system understanding ANYENUM, most of the type system
> treats ANYENUM identically to ANYELEMENT, the only parts that really
> need to understand it are the bits that try to tie down concrete types.

The reason I'm feeling annoyed with ANYfoo stuff today is that yesterday
I had to put a special hack for ANYARRAY into the ri_triggers code,
which you'd think would have no concern with it. But perhaps this is
just an indication that we need to refactor the code in parse_coerce.c.
(The problem in ri_triggers is that it uses find_coercion_pathway()
which does not concern itself with ANYfoo types.)

Anyway, objection withdrawn --- I just thought it seemed a good idea to
question whether we were adding a frammish we didn't really need.