Re: Re: Trusted plperl

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Louis-David Mitterrand <vindex(at)apartia(dot)ch>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Trusted plperl
Date: 2001-04-22 15:57:13
Lists: pgsql-general

Louis-David Mitterrand <vindex(at)apartia(dot)ch> writes:
> Why not simply allow access to full perl functionality to postgres
> superusers (as with C functions)?

The correct way to do this would be to offer an alternative "untrusted
plperl" language, same as we now do for pltcl --- then the dbadmin has
a choice whether to take the risk of installing plperlu or not.

> If perl could reach the same level of integration with Pg that mod_perl
> has with Apache: full access to the SPI, no restrictions on what can be
> done, it would really help us make a quantum leap in productivity.

What plperl needs is some partisans who are actually willing to do some
work. Mark Hollomon did a great job of building a proof-of-concept
implementation (which is all that it really is, at this point), but he
seems to have lost interest since then. It's time for some other Perl
users to step up to the plate.