Re: Autovacuum loose ends

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Autovacuum loose ends
Date: 2005-07-14 19:07:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> Thanks, and again sorry for the bugs. The code for shutting the whole
> thing down was not easy for me to understand -- I think it should be
> better documented. I can send a src/backend/postmaster/README file if
> you think it's worth it; I'd document how to create processes, how to
> handle shutdown, and how does the signalling mechanism work. (It took
> me at least an hour to figure the signal handling out, and as you see I
> still had gross misunderstadings.)

You can if you want, but I don't think that that will ever be
cookie-cutter stuff --- each specialized subjob we've added to date has
had slightly different requirements, and I'd expect the same if we add
more in future. You have to think about whether they need to connect to
shared memory, whether they can run transactions, which signals they
need to receive, what the postmaster's response should be to either a
normal or non-normal child exit, what the startup and shutdown order
should be, etc. All of these questions are interrelated ...