Re: big text field -> message type 0x44

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tomas Berndtsson <tomas(at)nocrew(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: big text field -> message type 0x44
Date: 2002-12-05 15:26:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tomas Berndtsson <tomas(at)nocrew(dot)org> writes:
> Indeed you were right in this. But, if I added -D_REENTRANT to the
> Makefile for libpq, it started to set it. If libpq should be thread
> safe, I believe it should be compiled with -D_REENTRANT.

> When I did this, recv still returns error, but now sets errno to
> EAGAIN, so pqReadData() returns 1, giving the same result as removing
> the if-statement that does the try again thing.

Okay, so it seems -D_REENTRANT is the appropriate fix.

We could either add that to the template/solaris file, or just add a
note to FAQ_Solaris advising that it be added to the configure switches
if people intend to use libpq in threaded programs. Is there any
cost or downside to just adding it always in template/solaris?