Re: Allow root ownership of client certificate key

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Allow root ownership of client certificate key
Date: 2022-03-01 03:15:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> I'd be more eager to do that if we had some field complaints
>> about it. Since we don't, my inclination is not to, but I'm
>> only -0.1 or so; anybody else want to vote?

> This patch was specifically developed in response to field complaints
> about it working differently, so there's that.

Hmm ... I didn't recall seeing any on the lists, but a bit of archive
searching found

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20170213184323.6099.18278%40wrigleys.postgresql.org

wherein we'd considered the idea and rejected it, or at least decided
that we wanted finer-grained control than the server side needs.
So that's *a* field complaint. But are we still worried about the
concerns that were raised there?

Re-reading, it looks like the submitter then wanted us to just drop the
prohibition of group-readability without tying it to root ownership,
which I feel would indeed be pretty dangerous given how many systems have
groups like "users". But I don't think root-owned-group-readable is such
a problem: if you can create such a file then you can make one owned by
the calling user, too.

Anyway, I'd be happier about back-patching if we could document
actual requests to make it work like the server side does.