Re: Toast rel options

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Toast rel options
Date: 2010-04-29 01:11:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> It's possible to set toast reloptions for tables that don't have toast
> tables at all. e.g.

> create table test (c1 integer);
> ALTER TABLE test SET (toast.autovacuum_enabled = off);

> Why?

1. Why not?

2. They might have toast tables later, after an ALTER ADD COLUMN
for instance.

3. They might have had/needed a toast table in the past. Do
we need to make ALTER DROP COLUMN capable of flushing those
reloptions, so that they won't cause a failure at dump/reload?

I don't see any advantage whatsoever to forbidding this, and
a lot of corner cases to take care of if we did try to forbid it.