Re: v12.0: ERROR: could not find pathkey item to sort

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: v12.0: ERROR: could not find pathkey item to sort
Date: 2019-10-14 14:54:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com> writes:
> On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 01:30:29PM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
>> BTW it probably should've been documented as an "Open Item" for v12.

> I realized possibly people were thinking of that as a "feature" and not a
> bugfix for backpatch (?)
> But, my issue is a query which worked under v11 PWJ but fails under v12
> (apparently broken by d25ea01275).

Yeah, this should have been dealt with as an open item, but it
slipped through the cracks. We'll make sure to get it fixed,
one way or another, for 12.1.

In view of the proposed patches being dependent on some other
13-only changes, I wonder if we should fix v12 by reverting
d25ea0127. The potential planner performance loss for large
partition sets could be nasty, but failing to plan at all is worse.