Re: [PERFORM] BUG #4919: CREATE USER command slows down system performance

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, toruvinn <toruvinn(at)lain(dot)pl>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] BUG #4919: CREATE USER command slows down system performance
Date: 2009-08-08 19:25:27
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-performance

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> In some sense this is a bootstrap problem: what does it take to get to
>> the point of being able to read pg_database and its indexes? That is
>> necessarily not dependent on the particular database we want to join.
>> Maybe we could solve it by having the relcache write a "global" cache
>> file containing only entries for the global tables, and load that before
>> we have identified the database we want to join (after which, we'll load
>> another cache file for the local entries).

> This sounds good, because autovacuum could probably use this too.

Maybe I'll look at this after commitfest is over. I haven't messed
with the bootstrap sequence in awhile, but I used to remember how
it worked ...

As far as AV is concerned, taking this approach would likely mean
turning the launcher into a full-fledged backend just like the workers.
Do you see any problem with that?