Re: Help installing 8.0.2 rpms on RH 3.0

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Chris Hoover" <revoohc(at)sermonaudio(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL Admin" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Help installing 8.0.2 rpms on RH 3.0
Date: 2005-04-14 07:14:37
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Chris Hoover" <revoohc(at)sermonaudio(dot)com> writes:
> ... However, I am having some difficulty installing the
> postgresql.org RH 3.0 rpms for Postgresql 8.0.2.

Up until really recently (read: not yet shipped for Red Hat, and I'm
not sure about the PGDG RPMs), the 8.0 RPMs had the wrong Obsoletes:
data in them for replacing rh-postgresql RPMs with later postgresql
RPMs. So I'd definitely suggest removing *all* the rh-postgresql RPMs
before you try to install newer stuff. It wasn't real clear whether
that was the sum total of your problem however...

> Virgin install of RH ES 3.0 from cd's (no update run right now)

It wouldn't be a bad idea to do "up2date" first. For all you know
you are fighting a bug in RPM itself.